Enough is enough
Drug checking is a proven, effective step we should take NOW to help people stay safe this summer.
After the recent festival deaths, Chris Minns is under a lot of pressure on drug checking. But he’s digging in his heels a refusing to act.
Can you contact Chris Minns and tell him that you want drug checking set up to help prevent more heartbreaking loss?
Chris Minns’ email address is already loaded into this form, so all you have to do is write your message and send it. Your email address will also be automatically included in the email you send – so expect to hear back from the Premier soon!
Not sure what to write? Check out the tips at the bottom of this page! 👇
Tips for writing your letter
- Start with an introduction: Let Chris Minns know who you are and why you’re writing to him.
- Explain why you care: Tell Chris Minns why you think he should set up drug checking before the festival season. If you’re not sure what to say, you can copy and paste some of the reasons below:
- Drug checking is a simple, proven step you can take to prevent drug-related health emergencies including overdose deaths. Scientific analysis and stigma-free advice in drug checking services helps people make informed decisions for their own well-being. For many people, it’s the first time they’ve talked to a health professional about managing the risks of using drugs.
- The 2019 Coronial Inquest into Festival Deaths led by Deputy State Coroner Harriet Grahame and the Special Commission of Inquiry into the Drug ‘Ice’ led by Professor Dan Howard both recommended that the New South Wales government set up drug checking services.
- Among the NSW public, support for drug checking is over 60%. That support is backed by experts across the health, legal, justice and alcohol and other drugs sectors.
- Almost 30 countries around the world have drug checking services already operating, including Australia and New Zealand. With the QLD government following the ACT’s lead and working to get drug checking services up and running by the end of the year, it’s time New South Wales got with the times and took this simple step to help people stay safe.
- Ask for action: Tell him to get drug checking set up now and help prevent further tragedies this festival season.
- Sign off: Thank him for his time and encourage him to take action.