Tell Annastacia Palaszczuk: Legalise Cannabis Now!
This weekend, the Queensland Labor party will meet to decide on their plans for the next year – including the crucial question of whether to support legalising cannabis.
In the lead-up to the conference, we need to flood the Premier’s inbox with Queenslanders who are fed up with people being targeted by police for enjoying a joint with friends or accessing medicine.
Can you email Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and demand her support for legalising cannabis?
Palaszczuk’s email address is already loaded into this form, so all you have to do is write your message and send it. Your email address will also be automatically included in the email you send – so expect to hear back from the Premier soon!
Not sure what to write? Check out the tips at the bottom of this page! 👇
Tips for writing your letter
- Start with an introduction: Let Annastacia Palaszczuk know who you are and why you’re writing to her.
- Explain why you care: Tell Palaszczuk why you think she should legalise cannabis. If you’re not sure what to say, you can copy and paste some of the reasons below:
- Everyone deserves to be treated fairly, but Queensland police search and arrest thousands of people every year just for using cannabis. Aboriginal communities, young people and communities of colour are disproportionately targeted.
- A cannabis arrest can have a devastating impact on someone’s life – making it harder to get an education, a good job and even risks trapping people in the criminal justice system.
- The majority of Queenslanders support legalising cannabis, as well as experts across the legal, mental health, Aboriginal justice, youth justice and alcohol and other drugs sectors.
- Legalising cannabis would stop thousands of harmful arrests and make Queensland a place where the hundreds of thousands of people who use cannabis are supported to live full, happy lives.
- Ask for action: Tell her to publicly commit to legalising cannabis at the Labor Party Conference, and to work with parliament to develop an effective bill.
- Sign off: Thank her for her time and encourage her to take action.